Friday, November 24, 2006

My Way My Love - "Hypnotic Suggestion: 01"



I guess the best way to describe Japanese noise-rock power trio My Way My Love is to place them somewhere between the Boredoms and Deerhoof. Or maybe they sound something like what'd happen if Melt Banana replaced their frantic, manic pacing with an alternating sense of playfulness/sense of menace.

My Way My Love is obviously influenced by mid-90's American alt.rock like Sonic Youth and the Jesus Lizard (with a noticable hint of Devo), but the way they approach the proceedings with a seeming lack of attention to traditional musical form makes this record somewhat refreshing. There are few, if any, verse/chorus/verse type of songs to be found here, if indeed there are any songs on display at all. Most of the tracks feel more like pieces of music or art or both, rather than carefully constructed ditties designed to work their way into your brain and bounce around there til you cave and finally buy the damn thing. In fact, a couple of numbers are only a few seconds long, but oddly enough, they're some of the best on the record!

You can get a copy here for a very reasonable price, especially in the used CD section. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home